We are investing heavily in technology as the key driving force in delivering great customer experience with personalised wellness journeys both online and in-store, along with convenience in service and delivery, and with increasing product propositions.
We are putting our efforts in building the right solutions over buying generic ones, and we embrace automation and testing in all things software, infrastructure and data. We certainly embrace change and drive speed in everything we do.
At the core of every great technology we build is an obsessive attention to detail that makes our tech fast, simple, resilient, secure, operable, observable and scalable.
Every day presents a different challenge, but is filled with fun, teamwork and passion to succeed and surpass every expectation. We work hard in Holland & Barrett because we love the work we do, we love the people we do it with, we know we can count on each other to deliver and especially because we know the tech we build makes a difference for customers.
Join us and see how far you can go…
Location: London - Remote working
The Senior Data Engineering Manager role is a leadership role for two squads comprising Senior Data Engineers and Data Engineers. Your will have the chance to make your squads shine and grow their capabilities. Line management and recruitment of new team members is something you should have experience of. Within your squads there will be a high degree of autonomy coupled with an expectation of reliable sustained delivery with frequent deployments to production.
You will work alongside the CDO, the Head of Data Engineering, the Principal Data Engineer and your peer Senior Data Engineering Managers. We measure our success in terms of delivered outcomes and internal customer satisfaction.
· Manage and mentor a data engineering team building and supporting modern data engineering solutions to in the retail and e-commerce space
· Conduct technical platform design and implementation
· Foster a culture of simplicity, innovation and professionalism
· Control AWS costs
· Aggregate competitor and internal streamed data reliably for modelling by the DWH team in the Redshift data warehouse
· Agree SLAs for data availability; monitor SLIs and set SLOs.
· Proactively seek out problems to solve with streaming
· Work with stakeholder to build a roadmap of competitor intelligence sources to ingest
· Stay abreast of emerging technologies and research which can improve your team's delivery capabilities and boost team engagement and passion
· Act as a role model for data engineers promoting high standards across all dimensions of outcome - quality, correctness, software engineering practices
· Maintain and enhance data engineering standards while enabling your team to exceed these standards
· Own the roadmap and schedule for your squads which balances software delivery, continuous improvement and operational support
· Ensure testing, security and data governance is part of every step on the route to live
· Ensure systems are monitored for functional correctness, SLIs and anomalies
· Develop and review code yourself
· Ensure the success of cross-functional squad teams your team members will be part of
· Grow your team through recruitment, training, coaching, motivating and managing performance
· Apply and encourage evidence based decision making
· Lead team activities: Code review, standards setting, retrospectives, continuous improvements, show'n'tells, backlog refinement, wargaming.
· Able to design streaming and crawling solutions with awareness of scale, efficiency and correctness
· Able to lead review of data engineering designs
· Able to communicate with stakeholders at a suitable level of detail to ensure requirements are well understood and stakeholders have accurate expectations on dates and functionality
· Motivate your team by supporting autonomy, mastery and purpose in the data engineering realm
· Outcome Orientated
· Clear Communicator
· High Performance Champion
· Problem Crusher
You will need relevant experience in building data ingest and streaming solutions. The following is guide our current stack. All aspects of the competitor intelligence capabilities are open against a backdrop of working in a AWS PaaS environment. We are wed to the outcomes not the technologies. You will be be developing solutions hands-on and taking this into production as part of your team.
💸 Technology Incentive Scheme - we offer different bonus schemes for all grades in Technology, starting at 10%.
📚 Learning and Development opportunity with Holland & Barrett is a great base for career development long term.
🤝 Career progression
🔝 Pension company contribution
✈️ Your wellbeing is paramount so you can get away and take 28 or 33 Days Holiday per year.
💷 Refer and Earn Scheme - as we're growing you can earn money by referring people to join us from your network.
👜 Epic Extras gives you access to exclusive benefits, free advice and savings from a range of retailers and providers.
💰 Stay healthy with Discounted Products - from day one you'll get a 25% discount (on top of other promotions) when you shop at H&B on anything that you buy.
🙋🏽 We all need a little help sometimes, so we offer Free 24/7 Confidential Advice & Colleague Welfare.
🧠 Mental Health First Aiders - we have lots of qualified Mental Health First Aiders because its all about your health & wellbeing.
👑 We have colleague Reward and Recognition Schemes, so your hard work and loyalty won't go unnoticed.
👏 And many more!