We are investing heavily in technology as the key driving force in delivering great customer experience with personalised wellness journeys both online and in-store, along with convenience in service and delivery, and with increasing product propositions.
We are putting our efforts in building the right solutions over buying generic ones, and we embrace automation and testing in all things software, infrastructure and data. We certainly embrace change and drive speed in everything we do.
At the core of every great technology we build is an obsessive attention to detail that makes our tech fast, simple, resilient, secure, operable, observable and scalable.
Every day presents a different challenge, but is filled with fun, teamwork and passion to succeed and surpass every expectation. We work hard in Holland & Barrett because we love the work we do, we love the people we do it with, we know we can count on each other to deliver and especially because we know the tech we build makes a difference for customers.
Join us and see how far you can go…
The lead engineer will be a key member of a product squad. The role will require you to:
· Design and deliver functional and quality software independently at a very high standard.
· Be able to operate independently without any technical oversight, leading design of software across a subset of functional areas.
· Work closely with Product Managers, TPM and other development teams to deliver software.
· Break large problems into sub-tasks and take operational responsibility.
· Continuously iterative and improve on the platforms/products/features being built working with product manager and with the other engineers
· Mentor new hires, champion processes and set standards for fellow engineering team members.
· Lead on the various features being built as part of the product roadmap in a team.
· Own the development and rollout for an entire product or large project.
· Serve as a technology lead, championing processes and setting standards for fellow engineering team members.
· Build and review engineering design documentation.
· Identify risks ahead of major project kick offs starting
· Design cross-functional and full stack software independently.
· Perform the role of a team's design authority with the ability to review peer or junior member software design within a set of functional area(s).
· Introduce new approaches, methodologies and design to the software development organisation
· Write robust, quality software using TDD and peer-review in a CI/CD culture with strong support for iterative development cycles with an evolutionary design
· Consistently deliver quality software of high complexity within a set of functional area(s) without clear requirements
· Demonstrate mastery of software and platforms being used within a set of functional area(s)
· Demonstrate ability to design and implement software using modern patterns of software development for functionality and scalability within a set of functional area(s)
· Ability to design and implement performant software using documented algorithms and methods of software optimisation within a set of functional area(s)
· Ability to implement unit, integration and performance tests into a testing framework
· Ability to introduce new methods, frameworks and approaches to software unit, integration and performance testing
Communication & Teamwork
· Ability to lead in a cross-functional team environment
· Ability to lead and articulate technical discussions and concepts to the business and technical community
· Ability to influence technical decisions across a set of functional areas
· Ability to influence and drive business decisions (scoping, features) across a set of functional areas
· Work with other engineers and members (BI Developers, Data Scientist, Product Managers, …) in your squad, for example, for code reviews and sprint planning
· Collaborate across squads where there are dependencies
· Embrace a DevOps culture and sense of ownership of what you build
· Be proactive in identifying improvements of what you build
· Be proactive in your development and growth
· Take no blame root cause analysis and incidence management approach of all issues
· Provide expertise, experience and recommendations on software and architecture design decisions
· Coach and support the development of more junior engineers
· Role model for behaviour in accordance with company culture, with a strong work ethic and accountability.
· A Degree or equivalent exposure to programming
· Sound software development experience in a technology organisation with a strong background in one or more of the following Java, Kotlin, Python.
· Strong Experience developing and working in a virtualized environment.
· Strong Experience using container based APIs including Docker, Docker Swarm, or Kubernetes.
· Strong Experience implementing scalable software systems and platforms. Experience with software optimisation.
· Demonstrated mastery of a particular aspect of retail technology (i.e; inventory management, UX development, performance testing, data integrity)
· Strong Experience with unit and integration testing
· Strong Experience in building microservices : APIs, event-driven with a choice of SQL or NoSQL data store
· Strong Experience with DevOps concepts & working on CI/CD
· Strong collaboration and communication skills within distributed project teams.
· Experience with Kafka, Kubernetes, Docker, Datadog, Airflow
· Experience with DevOps concepts & working on CI/CD
· Experience in building reliable, monitored and maintainable systems
· Agile/scrum development experience. Embraces Agile and encourages other to embrace and agile way of working
· Experience with cloud computing, ideally AWS
· Ability to solve problems and think across different scales from the strategic right down to the code optimisation and debugging level
· Ability to separate essential complexity from incidental complexity and a desire to reduce complexity
💸 Technology Incentive Scheme - we offer different bonus schemes for all grades in Technology, starting at 10%.
📚 Learning and Development opportunity with Holland & Barrett is a great base for career development long term.
🤝 Career progression
🔝 Pension company contribution
Gym Pass - A corporate wellbeing platform that gives you access to gyms and studios for your mind, body, and mood.
✈️ Your wellbeing is paramount so you can get away and take 28 or 33 Days Holiday per year.
💷 Refer and Earn Scheme - as we're growing you can earn money by referring people to join us from your network.
👜 Epic Extras gives you access to exclusive benefits, free advice and savings from a range of retailers and providers.
💰 Stay healthy with Discounted Products - from day one you'll get a 25% discount (on top of other promotions) when you shop at H&B on anything that you buy.
🙋🏽 We all need a little help sometimes, so we offer Free 24/7 Confidential Advice & Colleague Welfare.
🧠 Mental Health First Aiders - we have lots of qualified Mental Health First Aiders because its all about your health & wellbeing.
👑 We have colleague Reward and Recognition Schemes, so your hard work and loyalty won't go unnoticed.
👏 And many more!